A Travellerspoint blog

Welcome to the Penal Colony

My farm life

all seasons in one day 27 °C

Welcome to the penal colony

These were some of the words spoken to me on my first day of WWOOFing. "We've moved on since then", i thought naively. I was right and I was wrong. The work its self isn't that bad but you can't escape from the farm. The farm is surrounded by hills so its an hours walk to anywhere. The convicts at port Arthur had the same problem escaping from Van Deimens land, you just can't get out!
This means when you get an offer of an afternoon in a town you jump at it. Annie and I were walking round the town of Buderin open mouthed like we hadn't shops in months ( its only been 3 days!) They had clothes shops, jewellery shops and a supermarket, it was fantastic. We did manage to limit ourselves to buying socks, hot chocolate and batteries but we got to go shopping!

I live in a caravan which is something of an antique otherwise known as old. I share with Annie who's sentence is 3 months rather than my 10 days. The caravan is the sort that you can't swing a cat in and you would go away for the weekend in once then abandon round the back of the house on a pile of rocks. Which funnily enough is exactly what the family has done, except they house displaced backpackers in it. The toilet is in a corrigated shed and the shower a bit bigger shed!


The work on farm is varied but uninteresting. You work 6 hours a day usually 7:30am to 1:30pm. Day one was dropping strawberry plants, which is exactly what it says on the tin. You drop it over the slit and someone follows behind you planting the plants. I'm not senior enough to wield the planting tool, which was just fine by me as planting means being bent double the whole day and thats not a good look after 6 hours! Day two was finishing the dropping, planting a few sping onions and nut grass removal...... otherwise known as weeding.


Weeding, as I soon discovered is the most boring activity on planet earth! The weed manages to grow through the plastic covering and you have to pull it out, hopefully with the nut still attached to the other end. After bending over, crouching down and squatting for 6 hours there really is no comfortable way to do it. Then at about 12:30 it started to rain and rain and rain. After 40 minutes of rain I was ready to mutiny. I was cold, soaked to the skin and knew drowned rats that looked better than me. Then just as I was about to squelch off the field Abe turned up gave us a wistle like we're a couple of sheep dogs and we were allowed to come in. To hell with doing this to save money I want a spa weekend and manicure when i leave!


Posted by x-raygirl 00:01 Archived in Australia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint