A Travellerspoint blog

Thursday Roast

sunny 38 °C

After two days of trying to sort out my Australian life, fighting with hsbc and queing for health cover I decided it was time to do a bit of site seeing. So I found myself on the 8:45 ferry to Rottnest Island. Rotto (as its known by locals) is just off the west coast of Perth and is home to Quokkas, a light house and loads of bikes. The boat I was on was catamaran style like the thames clippers, so it should have been a speedy ride. Half an hour later we were still puttering up the swan river admiring the millionaires mansions on the river banks. After a further bumby half an hour at sea I got off, got given a bike and snorkle equipment and was sent on my merry way.

I eyed my bike with some trepidation, you may laugh but I haven't cycled since one sunday two years ago spent in Cambridge wobbling my way round tourists. Once on my bike I was left wondering what to do with my snorkling gear. I tried it under the frame and it fell off, I tried it on the handle bars and it fell off, I was about to throw it in the sea when I remembered the hooks on my rucsac, it still hit the wheels but it was ok, I was off.

After 10 minutes it started to get hilly. I'd chosen the green route, only 10km easy peasy, I can run 10k in less than an hour, I wizz round and be back to the bay for lunch. I hadn't expected hills! I persevered with the first three but in 38 degree heat I felt I was on fire and sweat was dripping into my eyes. My helmet was on over my hat so I looked like little a strange little red riding hood so it was making me hotter and I was breathing like I smoked 20 a day, this was supposed to be fun!!

At the third cove I stopped. People kept talking to me about how hot it was, I think it was just to check I still speak and wasn't about to go up in flames. I got out the wretched snokling gear and put it on. The water was warm and clear and I could see reef and sea weed and fish, it was so refreshing and cool. I never did do the full 10km, snokling was the way forward, so I wimped out, headed back to Thomson Bay and spent the rest of the day marvelling at the fish and lying on the beach relaxing.

Posted by x-raygirl 02:08 Archived in Australia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint